Sweet Mango Barbecue Chicken Skewers are the perfect grill fare! Moist and juicy and bursting with fruity and savory flavors, they’re a guaranteed crowd pleaser!
Depending on your preference, you can use western-style BBQ sauce which has a tangy tomato-based flavor or Filipino-type barbecue marinade like Mama Sita’s which has a more savory soy sauce taste.
- 1 cup mango nectar-homemade or store-bought
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or chopped Thai chili peppers (siling labuyo)
- Soak the bamboo sticks in water for at least 30 minutes to keep from burning during grilling.
- Although you can use boneless chicken breast if you like, I highly suggest thigh or leg meat as they stay juicier and don’t overcook as quickly.
- Drain the meat well and pat dry, so the excess liquid does not dilute the marinade.
- Cut in uniform sizes to ensure even cooking.
- To prevent excessive charring and to prevent the meat from burning before fully cooked, grill for a few minutes first on each side before basting. Once it loses its pink, start brushing with the sauce.
How to serve
These chicken skewers not only makes a great appetizer but also a delicious part of a meal. I like to serve them with coconut rice and tomato-avocado-cucumber salad, but really, anything goes. Try them with sides of Java rice, atsara, or even pancit bihon.
Love waking up to a silog meal in the morning? This grilled mango chicken will be just as delicious as tocino with sinangag and sunny side up eggs.
Looking for more grill-worthy recipes? Inihaw na liempo and pusit are sure to be a hit at your next cookout!